2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Week of January 3


Today, many of us had the "back to reality" feeling! Winter break is over and tardy bells are the only bells we will hear ringing! On Monday, January 3, I was thrilled to get back into the classroom! Thanks to Mr. Brewer and Ms. Hales at Midway for allowing me to spend some time in your U.S. History classes. I realized at that moment how much I truly miss teaching and miss my students! I always have people ask me, "What are you going to do next year?" Or, I am informed that "You will not come back to teaching.... They never do!" Though the return to the classroom can be a difficult transition after this year, I certainly have it remaining at the top of my list. Of course, I realize things can change and plans can take a different path. However, I am a teacher who loves her job. That is the thing I know for sure!

On Tuesday, our EPFP group met and enjoyed a wonderful presentation! I always love when our group get together! Such great advocates for public education and such amazing, knowledgeable folks! I missed our time apart during Christmas break and I am so glad we are back together!

The State Board of Education met on Wednesday and Thursday. The Board engaged in good dialogue and you can find highlights from the meeting on the link to the right! One of the items we were able to see was itunes U! If you have not had an opportunity to explore this amazing tool, I encourage you to do so! Click the link for NCDPI to the right and search for itunes U. There are great podcasts and videos ranging form Ready, Set, Go! to great classroom content! If you have questions or concerns regarding information presented at the SBE meeting, please email or skype me!

Thursday afternoon I traveled to Lee County to talk to their Beginning Teachers. When I arrived I was directed to the black box. How appropriate! At this time of the year, we sometimes need our best acting skills! I was thrilled to see that a former (and wonderful) student, Maria Jarrell, is teaching in Lee County! We talked about our stresses at this time of year and ways to battle them! We also had great conversations about how truly awesome our jobs are! I really enjoyed seeing you all and I had so much fun!

On Friday, I returned to Midway and spent more time with the U.S. History classes! I loved it! Thanks again guys for allowing me to share in your classroom instruction!

I can hardly believe it is the end of the first semester! Where does time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment