2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Week of January 17


I can hardly believe that this is the last week until I get the opportunity to meet the with 54 other amazing state teachers of the year in Dallas, Texas! I am so excited and can't wait to share that experience with all of you!


On Monday, I traveled to Jacksonville, NC to spend time with the outstanding staff at Carolina Forest Elementary School. Melonie Shepard is Onslow County's Teacher of the Year and I had the opportunity to spend a week with Melonie at NCCAT this summer. She is such a genuine, dedicated, and enthusiastic teacher. I enjoyed reconnecting with her and talking with her staff! We spent our time talking about generational differences and teamwork. Sometimes we judge or misinterpret thing and that leads to division amongst the faculty. We talked about the contributions each generation can bring to our school and ways to utilize each other. After all, we all have one common goal: the education of all of our children. Thanks for allowing me to participate in your staff retreat! The food was fabulous and the everyone was so hospitable.

On Tuesday, I decided it would be fun to see how many times I could drive back and forth to Raleigh! I spent the morning at DPI with a National Boards review panel. Such a great group of dedicated educators who are committed to helping maintain the integrity of the National Boards process. Although this panel involves a great amount of work, I truly enjoy that opportunity. I left DPI and drove to Clinton and spoke to the Beginning Teachers with Clinton City Schools. I had a great time and enjoyed the opportunity! I know it is such a busy time of year and I appreciate this groups willingness to share. I had fun and was able to talk with some folks I had not seen in some time! Nancy Dillmon is such a wonderful educator and she does an amazing job with this group of Beginning Teachers! I left Clinton to return to Raleigh for our EPFP meeting. Dr. Bill Harrison, Chairman of the State Board of Education was our speaker. Although I have met Dr. Harrison many time before, I had never had the opportunity to hear him speak. He is so thoughtful and knowledgeable. There is one thing I know for sure, he is very concerned with what is best for our children!

Wednesday found me in the office filing papers, working on PD presentations, and taking a few moments to simply breathe and process! Whew, this is a busy job!! But one that I truly LOVE!

On Thursday, I spent the afternoon with Wake County Public Schools. Dr. Stephen Gainey and Mrs. Carolyn Wade had a reception for the teachers in Wake County who received National Board Certification or were renewed by the NBPTS. I had a blast connecting with former co-workers and spending time with such an enthusiastic group. We talked about what this process means. We talked about the reflection, the renewal, and the challenge. It was a wonderful evening! If you are considering applying for National Boards, please let me know who I can help!

On Friday, I spent the morning teaching U.S. History. Of course, it was the best way to start the morning! I then managed to catch a few minutes of high school basketball before driving to Asheville!

Saturday I was fortunate to be invited back to UNC-Asheville. Brenda Hopper, director of the UNC-A Teaching Fellows program, is fabulous! I love her energy and dedication to the program. She hosted a Teaching Fellows finalists luncheon for High School seniors who were finalists for this scholarship. I arrived early so that I could drive around the beautiful campus. As Brenda and I watched the elevator doors close, I saw a former student walk past. When the elevator door opened, I walked back up the stairs and yes indeed there was a former student. We talked for a while and I was proud that he was being successful. Though he was super intelligent, traditional high school was not his cup of tea. He said he found college engaging! I am proud of you and wish you much continued success!

As I drove home I noticed the odometer. Wow, over 10,000 miles traveled so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment