2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • René Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Sweet Emotion



As teachers we all know the value of the having a positive relationship and rapport with our students. We know the power of truly “showing up” for our students and knowing who they really are. Sometimes teachers don’t always heed our own advice. We fail to find support and make connections with other teachers who share our passion, our vision and yes, our stress. This past week, I had the opportunity to meet with some remarkable teachers from across the U.S. All of the State Teachers of the Year arrived in Dallas on Tuesday and became instant friends. It is amazing how quickly we can bond with those who truly “get us” and our ups and downs. As we networked, laughed, cried and shared, I realized how important the power of emotional connections can be in our profession. We have very stressful jobs. We struggle with keeping the balance between school and home. We struggle with the reality that though we may desperately want to save every child, some will not make it…..and it kills us. We struggle internally, wondering if anyone gets us and the intense complexities of our knowing that we touch every other profession. I will admit that I laughed and cried more over the past few days than I have in a long time. I have met life-long friends and true confidants. Yes, I sat in my room on Saturday night (okay - Sunday morning because when teachers get together we talk way too long!) and I cried. Please don’t misunderstand; I was thrilled to be returning home to my family and my friends. However, I was sad to leave my new friends with whom I have connected.

As you embark on a new semester and begin to build new relationships with your students, don't forget to feed your own soul. Emotional connections with those who get you and support you are so important to us both as teachers and as people.

To my new friends, thank you for a fabulous week! I will never forget that week! To my old friends, thank you for always being there for me! Many of my friends are teachers and I am so honored to have you as my friends. Thank you for always getting me!

Top Photo: Wyoming- Laurie, me, New Hampshire - Angie, 2008 National TOY - Mike, D.C. - Jon. We are at the National Aquarium for dinner.

Bottom Photo: Massachusetts - Wilma, me, California -Darin, Washington- Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment