2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week of January 31




Wow, I can hardly believe we are in the month of February. Where does the time go? I am quickly discovering that my year is more than halfway over.

This has been another busy, informative and fabulous week! On Monday, I spent the day in the office catching up on emails, blogposts, and lots of paperwork. I also began reading a book about the Global Achievement Gap.

On Tuesday, I attended the Blue Ribbon Task Force on the Compulsory Attendance Age in NC. What a passionate, invested, and dedicated group. We are looking at research (both "official" and anecdotal) to determine whether to raise the drop-out age from 16. The overarching goal is to increase the number of students who graduate high school. Will raising the drop-out age from 16 increase the graduation rate? It was a very interesting discussion and I am looking forward to our work. I welcome your input on this topic. Please email me (jfacciolini@sampson.k12.nc.us) if you have questions, comments, or concerns.

Following the Blue Ribbon Task Force meeting, I attended our weekly NC EPFP meeting. I missed the week prior and I enjoyed talking with everyone again. Our presenters were research attorneys from the NC General Assembly. We received lots of good information!

The February State Board of Education sessions were on Wednesday and Thursday. I always learn so much from these meetings. For more information on the agenda and highlights from the meeting, please click the link to the right! The Teachers and Leaders committee (from the Governor's Education Transformation Commission) met on Thursday afternoon following SBE. We discussed a variety of things including our role as a committee. We also began discussion regarding teacher evaluations. Great dialogue!

On Friday I had the opportunity to attend a Teaching Fellows professional development seminar at Meredith College. I always get excited to visit Meredith and I love to work with Teaching Fellows! NC State, Campbell University, and Meredith College hosted a triangle area Teaching Fellows professional development conference on Friday and Saturday. How exciting for these future teachers to have the opportunity to network and grow as professionals. I enjoyed being around such inspiring folks! I am so glad that these folks will be in our classrooms very soon! We talked a great deal about having roots and true passion for our jobs. Thank you guys for having me visit. I had a wonderful time! Kerry Mebane, thank you for the new Teaching Fellows bag! I love it!

On Saturday, I visited Western Carolina for the Teaching Fellows finalists open house. I always love visiting WCU. Dr. Smith and the folks there always make you feel like you are at home. The hospitality was wonderful and I enjoyed visiting with the Teaching Fellows again and with future Teaching Fellows! To the WCU Backstreet Boys, thank you for your performance at the end of the program! It was classic!

Top Photo: I enjoyed visiting with these Teaching Fellow finalists. Good Luck ladies!
Bottom Photo: I am with current WCU Teaching Fellows. What great leadership I already see in them!

No comments:

Post a Comment