2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Thanks guys! Your timing was perfect!

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have been a bit more busy than normal. I was losing my balance, losing my mind, and feeling as though I was not really doing a good job. Anyone who knows me well, also knows that I believe that all things happen for a reason. This week, I have received some very thoughtful emails, letters and kind words. I was not expecting them nor do I feel deserving of them, but I sincerely appreciate them. Thank you for taking time from your very busy lives to think of me and to share your kind, thoughtful, and encouraging words. I have always believed that most teachers possessed the gift of perfect timing. Thank you for sharing with me this week. I needed it! As I was rereading some of your emails and notes, I was reminded of a poem I heard earlier this year. Thank you for being builders not only with our students but with your colleagues as well.

Wreckers or Builders

I watched them tearing a building down,
A gang of men in a busy town.
With a ho-heave-ho and lusty yell,
They swung a beam and a sidewall fell.
I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled,
As the men you'd hire if you had to build?"
He gave me a laugh and said, "No indeed!
Just common labor is all I need.
I can easily wreck in a day or two
What builders have taken a year to do."
And I tho't to myself as I went my way,
Which of these two roles have I tried to play?
Am I a builder who works with care,
Measuring life by the rule and square?
Am I shaping my deeds by a well-made plan,
Patiently doing the best I can?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town,
Content with the labor of tearing down?

-- Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment