2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week of February 14

After a great day at home with my family on Sunday, Monday began another week of travel, school visits and meeting some amazing teachers!

On Monday, I was excited to spend some time with the Teacher Cadet students in Ms. Jennifer Carr's class at Midway. I love any excuse to be back on Midway's campus and I had so much fun with Ms. Carr and many of my former students. I have no doubt you will all grow into accomplished teachers. I think I was suppose to show up and inspire you; however, I think that you guys were much more inspiring to me than I could ever be to you. Thank you for your genuine energy, your love of life, and your openness to talk about some pretty tough issues facing education today.

After I left Midway, I went to Raleigh to meet Governor Perdue and First Gentleman Bob Eaves. I enjoyed the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to attend the Governor Perdue's State of the State as one of her guests. For more details regarding the State of the State, check the blogpost for Monday, February 14.

Tuesday morning I was up early and drove to Wilmington to spend some time at Murray Middle School. These teachers were wonderful to give up their planning time to attend the mini professional development sessions. We talked a great deal about the myths and realities of differentiated instruction. They asked some great questions and I learned so much from them. What a great group!

After leaving Wilmington, I went to our weekly NC EPFP meeting in Raleigh. These are always such interesting and informative meetings and tonight was no exception. Eddie Goodall and others spoke to us about Charter Schools in North Carolina and about Senate Bill 8 that is currently in the NC Senate. They provided a great deal of information regarding Charter Schools and a great dialogue continued between my fellow classmates and the Charter Schools panel. Lots of controversy = lots of questions and this mean the little hamster in my head turned the entire drive home!

On Wednesday, I spent the day in the office attempting to dig out from underneath a stack of papers. Though I made some progress I still have lots of work to do!

On Thursday, I traveled to Currituck County to prepare for another Principal of the Year visit. On Friday our team had the opportunity to visit Ms. Diane Newbern at Currituck County High School. What a great school! We enjoyed our day with the Region 1 Principal of the Year and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to talk with some inspiring teachers and talented students. Both the chorus and the band performed for us and they were great! Thank you guys for letting us spend the day with you.

Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment