2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Poker Face

I know. I know. Enough with the cheesy song references. Last one I promise! And then maybe on to movie lines:) I left a meeting today and realized that it was the third meeting within the past week where someone made reference to my facial expressions during conversation. Two folks even stopped the conversation and said, " Wait. I want to hear what she has to say. I can see it on her face." Clearly you do not want me to accompany you to Vegas as evidence by my lack of a good "poker face."

Growing up in the South, we are taught to be diplomatic, mannerly, and to speak our minds --oh wait, I mean think our thoughts and phrase them in a very nice way! I think I must be getting more opinionated or less able to wear a good poker face, because I have never been called on my facial expressions. Needless to say, it has been eye-opening for me to realize that though I may not say what's in my head, my facial expressions are a dead give away!

This new awareness made me wonder if I have always been an easy read? I began to think back over the last twelve years in the classroom. Did my facial expressions give away what I really wanted to say to the student who can't find a book cover even though he works at a grocery store that uses paper bags? Did my facial expressions give away the "I am so bored I would rather have a root canal" at that meeting? Our students are very perceptive and I have no doubt that I will have to improve my "poker face" upon my return to the classroom next year.

Should we have a "poker face" in the classroom and even with our colleagues?

No comments:

Post a Comment