2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Week of February 6

Here I go....on the road again! This has been another fabulous week! On Sunday, I had the opportunity to visit NCCAT and meet with the amazing folks on the search committee. I was so inspired by the dedication of this dynamic group to both public education and to NCCAT. We spent Monday and Tuesday meeting and talking with some pretty amazing people! I learned so much over these two and a half days!

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to spend the day with our State Superintendent, Dr. June Atkinson, and the State Superintendent's Advisory Council. It is always so inspiring to spend time with some fabulous teachers across NC. It was great to see some of my team members like Vann, Renee, Amber and Dot. We learned a great deal and enjoyed the time to talk with each other! Vann, I can't wait to read your book!

I drove home to find out that "snow was on the way!" Ok, we all know that it did not really happen, but it forced me to pack my bags and drive to Richmond County during the Duke vs. Carolina game. My radio station faded and I literally ran into the hotel so that I could catch the last five minutes. I am glad it was worth the run!

On Thursday Jan King, Sonja Leathers, and I spent the day at Richmond Senior High. What an incredible group of people. They truly want what is best for the students of Richmond County and all work together like a family to make great things happen! Mr. Cory Satterfield is the Region 4 Principal of the Year and we all enjoyed spending the day with you and your school!


photo: Mr. Carlos Rodriguez (Knightdale High's Teacher of the Year) and I at Knightdale High School

On Friday, I spent the day at Knightdale High School. They had an afternoon honoring newly named National Board Certified Teachers as well as the Knightdale High School Teacher and Teacher Assistant of the Year. What amazing folks! I loved hearing what the students and faculty had to say about the Teacher of the Year, Mr. Carlos Rodriguez. I am always so inspired by the great teachers across NC!

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to serve as a selection committee member for Region 3 Teaching Fellows Finalists interviews at NCSU. Ms. JoAnn Norris (NC Public Schools Forum) and Mr. Michael Clinkscales (NCSU Teaching Fellows Director) did an awesome job in coordinating this day. I met some great future teachers! For more information regarding the NC Teaching Fellows Program, visit www.teachingfellows.org


I enjoyed the opportunity to return to Midway High on Saturday evening to serve as the emcee for our annual Mr. Midway Pageant. We had five gentlemen vie for the title of Mr. Midway 2011. I had so much fun spending time with my friends and co-workers and my former students.

No comments:

Post a Comment