2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Week of October 25



What a whirlwind week! I have put so many miles on the car this week! Fortunately my travels were in the western part of NC during a beautiful time of the year. My week started in Raleigh at an NC Public Schools Forum Study Group meeting during the day. We heard more interesting information on quality teacher retention and the impact of effective school leadership. Once I left Raleigh I traveled to Campbell University to speak with a great group of Teaching Fellows. I am always impressed by the professionalism and energy of Teaching Fellows across our state. I enjoyed talking with this group and I am really looking forward to the great work these future teachers will do in this area of the state. Good Luck guys!

On Tuesday our NC EPFP group met at the Cardinal Club (Yes, it was such a gorgeous view!) THe 2009-2010 class of fellows graduated and we enjoyed a great dinner, a wonderful and very entertaining speaker, and a great opportunity to network. I am so glad that Brandon Patterson, Assistant Director of Teacher Recruitment and Development at NCDPI and Stuart Daughtery, my principal, were able to join me for the evening. In addition to the fabulous meal and humorous speaker, Marty Blank, president for the Institute for Educational Leadership (IEL) awarded the Public School Forum’s executive director, John Dornan with IEL’s National Leadership Award. After dinner I began my week-long travels toward the Western part of the state.

On Wednesday morning I had the opportunity to visit Jessica Garner's school and talk with her Teacher Cadet class (top photo). Cuthbertson High School had amazing technology, amazing teachers and a remarkable principal leading the way. The Teacher Cadet students were so energetic for a first period and I had so much fun! I enjoyed watching a couple of students present videos of their instruction. There are certainly some very capable future teachers in Mrs. Garner's class. Thanks for letting me visit with you all.

On Thursday morning I visited the campus of UNC Charlotte for a Celebration of Teaching Day. There were so many great folks in the audience. There were numerous Teacher Cadets from local high schools, Teaching Fellows from UNCC, and students interested in teaching. I was very impressed by the questions asked by both the high school and college students. At break I talked to a couple of young ladies who were going to student teach next semester. Their energy and passion was truly inspiring. I have no doubt they will be amazing classroom teachers! Good luck with your student teaching ladies!
After leaving UNCC I drove through some beautiful towns in the western part of the state as I drove toward Western Carolina University in Cullowhee. I thought I would never get there because I kept finding myself wanting to pull off of the road to take pictures! When I arrived at WCU (a gorgeous campus) I was met my some very well dressed young professionals. Although I was not sure exactly where I was going, I felt that they screamed "Teaching Fellows" so I followed them. I was correct! I had the opportunity to meet some really amazing people like Dr. Jackie Smith, director of Teaching Fellows at WCU, as well as the Dean of the School of Education and the director of Teacher Recruitment. The seminar was so much fun and this group had a ton of energy and enthusiasm for 5:00pm on a Thursday! I am glad I had the opportunity to meet some of you individually after the seminar. Keep your passion and I know you will be world famous teachers soon! Thanks for having me and I am already looking forward to my return visit to campus in February!

On Friday morning I visited a dear college friend, Rebecca Huffstetler, who is now an AP at Hunter Huss High School in Gaston County. This school was truly a family. You could tell from the minute you walked through the doors that this school took pride in its students, faculty and staff. The staff works well together and has fun in the process. A very intelligent and energetic young man, D'Andre, took me on a campus tour. He is one of those students who hope you get the opportunity to teach during your career! D'Andre, I wish you the best of luck after graduation and I have no doubt I will hear grand things about you in the future! Thanks for having me visit Hunter Huss. I would love to come back soon! Rebecca you are such a true, natural leader. I knew it from our first Teaching Fellows meeting at Meredith! You are truly amazing and I am proud to call you my friend and colleague. Rebecca, myself and D'Andre took a moment to pose for a quick photo at the end of my tour (see bottom photo above.)

No comments:

Post a Comment