2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week of November 1

I spent Monday in "recovery" from the travels over the past week and spent some quality time with my family. Tuesday was Election Day! Regardless of your political preferences, Election Day is always exciting! Yes, I voted and I hope you did the same!

Wednesday and Thursday I attended the November SBE meeting. The agenda was full and both days provided great insight. One of the most interesting points for me personally was the opportunity to learn more about the new Social Studies course changes. I absolutely love the new curriculum. Thanks so much to Dr. Garland and Angela Quick for their leadership in bringing these changes to Social Studies in North Carolina. When the first draft of the new standards were released, the general public was not so excited and much talk of what was "left out" occurred! The NC Department of Public Instruction really worked with teachers and the general public to create the new proposals and I think most of us are really excited about the changes! Thank you to the many teachers and community members who worked with Dr. Garland and her team to create these new standards!
As a reminder, all highlights from the SBE meetings can be found on the NC SBE website. I link to the highlights page is located on the right of this page.

On Friday I was excited to attend my first Governor's Education Transformation Commission meeting. This was my first appointment by the Governor and I am very excited to have the opportunity to meet and work with so many knowledgeable and well-respected folks in education. We listened to presentations about breakdown of Race to the Top and the College and Career: Ready, Set, Go! initiative. It was a very informative meeting. This group will meet the first Thursday of each month. The meetings will alternate between whole group meetings on one month and subcommittee meetings the other month. For more information, please visit www.ncpublicschools.org/rttt

No comments:

Post a Comment