2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Week of November 8


On Monday, I had the opportunity to travel back to Wilmington to visit the Teaching Fellows at UNCW. I arrived early to have dinner with the director, Amy Rottmann, and two outstanding students, Taylor Lee and Jeren Hernand. We had a wonderful dinner and great converstation! I was very impressed by the leadership shown by these future teachers!

Our weekly NC EPFP meeting was held on Tuesday. Although I am always excited to attend our EPFP meetings, I was especially excited to hear Judge Howard Manning, Jr. this week. You can say his name....and the controversy begins. He has many strong supporters and many who question his presentation. Personally, I have to say that I agree with his overall point. Though his presentations are often colorful, he has a great point...our students deserve great teachers who are knowledgeable and caring. Often people get the idea that he is all about the negative, but I have to disagree. For every school where he talked about the need for improvement, he shared about schools that had overcome obstacles and had shown tremendous growth. Regardless of how we may feel about his word choices, at the of the day, I don't feel that any of us will disagree with his overall message.

On Wednesday, I spent the afternoon at Midway High School for our half-day staff development. I really enjoyed the opporunity to spend time with my school friends. I truly miss them so much! The CTE department provided lunch for all of us and it was delicious! Thanks for letting me spend the afternoon with you all!

My family and I spent Veteran's Day at home enjoying time with family and close friends. We took the time to reflect on Veteran's Day.

On Friday I traveled to Asheville to visit with the Teaching Fellows of UNC-A. We had a great time! Dinner was fabulous and the conversations were great! What dedication of these Teaching Fellows to attend professional development on a Friday night! There were some really amazing future teachers there! Every time I meet with a group of future teachers, I get so excited about the energy and passion this group will bring to the profession!

I drove as long as I could and crashed in Burlington for a few hours. Up early, I drove to Wilmington on Saturday morning to meet with teachers in the Teaching American History grant. (Yes, my scheduling abilities leave something to be desired!) This is a group of teachers from New Hanover, Pender, and Brunswick Counties who spend a great amount of time studying American History in order to increase their own personal knowledge and implement new strategies for teaching parts of the NCSCOS. This was a great group of energetic, dedicated teachers. We spent the afternoon looking at ways to teach Reconstruction and its impact in the US. I can hardly wait until March when I get the opportunity to work with this group again!

No comments:

Post a Comment