2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Fair! The Fair! The NC State Fair!

The North Carolina State Fair has come and gone for 2010. For those who attended I know you enjoyed fun exhibits, fabulous food and fantastic rides! My family and I had tons of fun, but I can't attend the fair without thinking about our favorite old saying "That's not FAIR!" I chuckle every time I hear either use of the word "fair" and I think of a former principal who said that when students told him "That's not fair" he always responded with "Yes,I know the fair. It comes to Hillsborough Street every October." I must admit that I borrowed his line and used it a few times myself. Yes it is a bit sarcastic and a bit funny too. However, it has often made me think about the concept of fair. Does fair mean equal? As an educator, I must say that fair and equal are not interchangeable words. Being fair is not always being equal. There are so many great books (Wormelli's books for example) that talk about this very concept. As teachers, we must remember that fair isn't always equal and that is a good thing. If we defined fair as being equal, our students would truly suffer. All of us learn in different ways and need different strategies to help us cope. So the next time someone (especially a student) says, "That's not fair!" simply think, "Thank goodness!"

No comments:

Post a Comment