2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Week of September 27


After Sunday's festivities, I was exhausted....but too excited to sleep! I spent Monday in the office working on presentations and researching a little more on some new and innovative programs in NC!

Tuesday was an exciting and very informative day! Our NC EPFP group participated in the NC STEM Community Collaborative event held at Marbles Kids Museum. I learned so much about NC STEM programs in NC and some innovative ways to teach science and math. Following lunch, we heard from a few dynamic presenters. One I remember in particular talked about how necessary collaboration and teamwork are in education. He made the point that all professions...from Doctors to Superheroes work in teams! For years education seems to have operated in a culture of isolationism. But does that best serve our students? Not at all! I am so excited to see the shift from isolationism to collaboration! The event was concluded that evening with a keynote address from Lt. Governor Walter Dalton at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences.

On Saturday morning, I was fortunate to meet and spend some time with future science and mathematics teachers! The PERSIST Scholars met at The Friday Institute in Raleigh. These were some very bright, articulate and dedicated students! I was energized by them and I was so glad I could spend the morning with them! You guys are such intelligent, focused, and out-going young adults. I look forward to the day when I can call you my colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment