2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Week of October 4

The month of October is going to be a very busy month! Looking at my calendar makes me TIRED!

On Monday I attended a study group meeting with the NC Public School Forum. I also learn so much at these meetings! We heard from Dr. Peele and had good conversation about quality leadership. One of Dr. Peele's slides really stood out to me. According to Marzano, school leadership is second only to quality instruction on student performance. Wow! We all realize the importance of effective teachers on student performance, but I don't think we really think about the importance of our school's administrators in this process. In teaching, like all professions, the best want to work for the best. Great leadership attracts great teachers! Great teachers create effective, quality learning environments.

On Tuesday I had a great experience at NC EPFP. We heard from John Davis. He had some fascinating data and information regarding politics in NC. He made some predictions for our great state in regards to November elections. I guess we will find out soon!

On Wednesday and Thursday the SBE met. Some great topics were discussed during committee meetings on Wednesday. If you have not take the time to really look at the work with ACRE, I encourage you to spend some time on the DPI website learning more. Again, a link to the SBE highlights is found to the right!

I left the SBE meeting on Thursday and drove to New Hanover County. I spent the evening at UNCW with U.S. History teachers from New Hanover, Brunswick and Pender Counties. We talked about strategies for goals 6,7 and 8. What a great group of teachers! I left so inspired!

On Friday morning I was back at UNCW to talk with Teacher Cadets. I absolutely love this program and I had a great time talking with future teachers about finding the path to a teaching career! Once I left UNCW I traveled down the road to Brunswick County. I had a wonderful Friday afternoon with some really amazing Social Studies teachers! We talked about making the leap from good to great! It was a great way to end the week!

Whew! What a busy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment