2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Week of October 18


Whew! It has been another busy week in TOY land! On Monday I finalized my portfolio and had it ready to send to Brandon Patterson at NCDPI. Although I really enjoyed the reflection and research aspect of the portfolio, I am certainly glad to have it finished and ready to mail!

Tuesday was our weekly EPFP meeting. We had the opportunity to read Dr. Robert Bridges book From My Culture to the Mainstream and Back Again and it was so insightful. He talked about his book and his experiences in education through the years. I wish I could have talked with him all day! He was truly an amazing gentleman.

On Wednesday I was in the car early and off to Greenville to spend the day at ECU. Christa Monroe and her team held an excellent Teacher Cadet Day. There were so many schools represented and around 185 students were registered! Amazing! Just imagine what a great group of prospective teachers we could have in a few years! I was also fortunate enough to see Mr. Vann Lassiter, Northeast Regional Teacher of the Year, at this event. Vann is so energizing and his students' admiration and respect for him was so evident. I am thankful to know Vann and I am so proud to call him my colleague. I enjoyed attending sessions and learning more about the Teacher Cadet program. Thanks Christa for all of your work!

On Thursday I spent time with the Clinton Rotary Club. I enjoyed a wonderful dinner and learned about the many great projects the Rotary Club is doing in our local schools. Education does take everyone! In order to truly make in a difference in the lives and education of our youth, it takes the school, the parents AND the community! Thank you to the many civic organizations that provide books, grants, scholarships and time for our local schools.

I was driving 'till the map turned blue (okay well almost blue) on Friday as I traveled to UNCW. I had the opportunity to talk with cooperating teachers who work with UNCW students as they are student teaching. This is such an important job and this group was amazing! Thanks for hosting me and thank you for giving back to education by working with our future teachers so closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment