2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week of March 28

Gotta long way to go and a short time to get there! Yes, I have realized that I should peruse long distance trucking as my second career! Where did this month go?

On Monday, I drove to UNC Wilmington to speak with UNCW seniors who are currently student teaching in Social Studies. I felt so bad for them. After a long day in the classroom they were then subjected to a three hours class on a Monday evening. OUCH! They were such troopers. After sharing some skittles and student teaching stories, we talked about their concerns as classroom teachers and how to survive the first year of this amazing, but sometimes overwhelming, profession. I learned so much from talking with this group and I am excited to have these folks join me as social studies teachers!

Tuesday is our weekly EPFP meeting day and we finished our final week of budget busters. We all learned so much about the budgeting process and about each other's ability to take our roles very seriously! We also made plans for our upcoming policy trip to DC. We are all so excited!

On Wednesday I spent some time in the office and then drove to Greensboro College to talk with student teachers, clinical teachers and distinguished alumni. To be honest, it was raining, cold and the wipers on Dora the Explorer were less than optimal. It was one of those nights I really had to rally myself. Boy I am so glad I was there. I had such great conversations and I left more inspired than I have been in a long time! We talked abut march madness from a teacher's perspective and we talked about our journey in teaching being very similar to Dorothy's journey down the yellow brick road. I was so touched by some of the stories shared and I reflected the entire 2 1/2 hour drive home. Thank you guys for having me for dinner and I enjoyed meeting you all!

On Thursday and Friday, I spent time in the office, catching up on paperwork and research and running a few errands before my trip to DC on Sunday! It has been another fast-paced and amazing week!

No comments:

Post a Comment