2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week of March 21

I can hardly believe my crazy, amazing year is coming to a close! On Sunday evening, I left for Buncombe County for our final Principal of the Year site visit. Congratulations to Marcia Perry from Haw Creek Elementary School for being named the Region 8 Principal of the Year. We had a great day visiting with these wonderful students! I have truly enjoyed the opportunity to travel with Jan and Sonja to visit these fabulous schools. During the long (lots of detours) drive home, the state car thought it was Christmas and began turn on all of the lights! I made it home safely, but knew I had to make an appointment first thing Tuesday morning!

On Tuesday (after calling the State Motor Fleet Garage) I traveled to another youth detention center to talk with three different groups of students about why students drop out of high school. Again, I was intrigued by their responses. No matter how much research you read, the stories from these students bring a new perspective. Again, it affirmed what we already know as teachers: The relationships with have with people are powerful!
Then I traveled to Peace College in Raleigh to talk with future teachers. This was such a great group of future teachers and I enjoyed my time with them. Thank you Ms. Wade for inviting me and for the amazing work you do. Following my visit at Peace College, I traveled to EPFP for our second week of Budget Busters. This has truly been an insightful exercise!

On Wednesday morning, I traveled to UNC Pembroke to talk with the students who are currently student teaching. This group was very interactive and asked great questions! I had a great time and I wish you all the best of luck!

After I left UNCP, I moved out of my second home (Rodge the Dodge - state car) and moved into a temporary state vehicle (Dora the Explorer). I then attended the Blue Ribbon Task Force meeting on the compulsory attendance age. As always, it was an interesting meeting and I was able to share some of the information from my recent youth focus groups.

On Thursday and Friday, I spent time in Cary with the 2011-2012 NC TOY finalists. What a fantastic, dedicated and passionate group of teachers. I am so glad to have had the opportunity to have talked with each of you. Any one of you would be an excellent representative for teachers in NC. I look forward to getting to know each of you a little more this year. I have no doubt the selection team had a difficult time in choosing the 2011-2012 NC Teacher of the Year. See you guys April 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment