2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Week of September 20

Wow! This is has been a busy but exciting week! The beginning of the week was spent working on some paperwork, learning more about NC FALCON and working on a video blog. I spent Tuesday night at EPFP and enjoyed getting to know some folks I did not have the opportunity to meet last week! Jo Ann and Kendall do such a great job with this class. This week we heard from Ann McColl as she presented her Constitutional Tales. How interesting! I learned some new and fascinating things about the North Carolina Constitution and the development of our state's educational system over time. I love when presenters are so interesting and thought provoking that I go home and immediately begin to research more information on the topic!

On Wednesday I worked on another video blog and prepared for the very busy Thursday and Friday ahead! I spent Thursday and Friday in Greensboro at the NC Public Schools Forum Board meeting. Thursday began with an orientation for new members like myself. I think this is truly a remarkable, intelligent, thoughtful organization. I could listen to John Dornan all day! He always has such great information and insight. On Thursday evening, Dr. Atkinson was our after dinner speaker. She talked about Race to the Top and I think we all learned a great deal and are looking forward to the opportunities this can bring to education in NC. I also had the opportunity to meet some business folks who are very dedicated to improving education. This group really does "roll up their sleeves" and work to bring positive changes in education.

On Friday morning Dr. Peter C. Gorman, Superintendent of Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools, presented on the role of teacher effectiveness. He made us all think and there were so many good questions asked. Don't misunderstand, I am not supporting or refuting all of his ideas, I am simply stating that I left there with my wheels turning! His presentation brought forth lots of good questions to consider!

I left the Friday session a little early so that I could attend a luncheon with the North Carolina Association of Colleges and Teacher Education. What a great group! Once I got over the fear that this was a student teaching observation on a massive scale, I had a great time meeting everyone! So many of our state's teacher education programs work diligently to prepare our beginning teachers for life-long careers in education. We talked about reflecting on the past, embracing today and looking toward the future. Thank you guys for inviting me. I had a wonderful time!

Although my new role is a busy and sometimes stressful one, I am truly loving every minute of this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment