2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week of September 6

It was another exciting week! I enjoyed spending Labor Day with my family and I hope you all had a great day to relax and catch up on some much needed sleep!
On Tuesday, I spent time in the office working on research and tackling mounds of papers to be filed!

On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to travel to UNC-Pembroke and speak to their group of Teaching Fellows. I was very impressed with this group! They were exciting, professional and asked some really great questions. Thanks for letting me visit your beautiful campus. I wish you all the bets of luck in this semester!

Thursday was an extra-fun day because it involved eating really well! I enjoyed eating lunch with the Superintendents in the Southeast Alliance. Ms. Linda Lowe hosted us at James Sprunt Community College. Ms. Lowe is so wonderful and is very dedicated to education. We had a great lunch and I enjoyed meeting all of the Superintendents in our region. Thank you all for the beautiful brass bell. I love it and it already has a special place in my office! On Thursday evening, I joined the Lillington Rotary Club for a great BBQ chicken dinner at Howard's BBQ. I enjoyed the great conversation and enjoyed talking with everyone about my exciting year and the ways that community organizations can help support our schools. Needless to say, I did not go to bed hungry Thursday night! I am finding that in true Southern fashion, all meetings involve really great food! I am beginning to think a gym membership may need to be included in the Teacher of the Year prize package!

On Friday Mrs. Simpson at Lakewood High School invited me to help facilitate a seminar. We all read and participated in a seminar on John Steinbeck's story Junius Maltby. What great insight these ninth grade students offered about the short story. From parenting to the institution of education, they brought in new perspectives and did an amazing job digging deeper into the story. I always learn so much from students and this group truly taught me to think about things in a new way!
As we talked about the story I brought up Mark Twain's quote, "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." I love this quote and the students did a superb job discussing this one! Thanks guys! I look forward to working with you all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment