2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Signs, Signs, Everywhere Signs

This week as I was driving to a meeting in Raleigh, I notice all the signs. Turn here. Shopping center ahead. I even noticed some folks holding signs such as "Hungry and need food." I started thinking about those wonderful ladies and gentlemen in our classrooms. Wouldn't it be great if they held up signs? "I don't understand how to work that math problem." "I need some help, but I am too shy to ask." "My constant need for attention gets me in trouble. If you would notice me more I might be less disruptive." As a teacher, I have often wished my students could hold up a sign and clue me in!

One of the many difficult tasks classroom teachers face is learning to read the "signs" of their students. We begin to know whose arched eyebrow means "I'm lost" and whose "deer in the headlights" look means "I need to move...my brain is asleep!". Teachers are faced with the task of knowing how to read the signs, facilitate learning and ensure that every student who enters our classroom grows intellectually. Whew...it makes me tired just thinking about all the signs teachers have to read and the many hats that teachers wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment