2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

China - Wow! What an Experience!

As part of my TOY year, I had the opportunity to travel with the North Carolina Center for International Understanding to China. It was one of the most amazing, reflective, and interesting trips I have ever taken. (Ok to be fair I had never before been out of the country....but none the less an amazing trip!)

There were 24 other teachers and two leaders who joined me as we flew for a very long time! I don't know that my words or even my photographs will do justice to the experience. We left on June 16 and we bonded almost instantly at the airport! Teachers were of a variety of grade levels and located across our great state! I learned so much from our conversations throughout our 10 days together! There were so many take-aways that I don't know where to begin. I think the first and biggest take-away was on a more personal than professional note. As I walked around Shanghai one morning, I really had some quiet time to reflect. There I stood in a city of over 22 million people and felt like I was walking around in the most quiet and peaceful place. No one was in a hurry. No one was rushing. Yes there was traffic and fast food places, but no one was eating in the car. No one was in a hurry. As we dined (and I loved the food as I was the only one in our group that did not loose any weight while there) it took over an hour. Meals and family time were to be enjoyed. It was not exactly what I expected in this large city. I am much to sentimental while attempting to chronicle my trip to China. So I think I will let my photos share the amazing experience. What a beautiful country! Here are some of my favorite photos that capture a glimpse of Beijing and Shanghai.
Our "travel family". You guys were so much fun!
We don't look like tourist at all!
Traveling around China in a purple Mercedes bus. Now that is rolling in style!
Elizabeth Plotkin (WCPSS TOY 11-12) and fellow Meredith Angel and I in one of the many beautiful gardens in Shangha.
AJ was the most awesome travel guide! Whether he was leading Karaoke or taking us for Papa Johns, we had a blast and learned so much from AJ!
Our travel family: Dwayne, AJ, Clark, Elizabeth, me and Darren The Tourist Stuff General Touristy photos
The Forbidden City
The Great Wall (My personal favorite part of the trip.)
Education: Our school visit Because it was testing time, we were only able to visit one school. Classes were single gender and very structured. Here are a few photos.
Again, I realize my reflections on this amazing opportunity are not up to par. In part, it has been some time since my visit. In other ways, it was such a powerful trip, that I find it difficult to put into words. I love to talk about this trip, so feel free to email if you have specific questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment