2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Final Thoughts

Over the past two years, my life has been a roller coaster. Just over two years ago, I was honored to be named the North Carolina Teacher of the Year. The year of my service was nothing but amazing. I encountered such amazing teachers and people who have inspired, encouraged, and helped me in ways too big to describe in a blog post. There are so many people to thank, that I cannot possibly thank them all in this blog. I had a amazing year and as I try to reflect on the "big moments" I am truly overwhelmed. The last part of our Teacher of the Year journey was a conference entitled "Next Steps" and was held in Princeton, New Jersey and New York, New York. I thought when I went that I would know what was next in my professional life. I think it should have been entitled "Reflections" as we spent more time reflecting with each other than thinking about our next steps. While in New York, we had the opportunity to see the Broadway production of Wicked. It was truly amazing, and seemed to capture the spirit of my journey with the 2011 NTOY class. To my classmates, "because I knew you, I have been changed for good." So many of you have been such a part of my life in such unique and special ways that I cannot even begin to find the words to say how I feel. You have picked up my shattered pieces when I fell apart.  You have reignited my passion for teaching. You have made me laugh for hours at a time. You have answered your phone when I called in tears or sent a text to say hello. "You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart." A few photos from our last NTOY 2012 trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment