2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Month of June

Okay so clearly I am a bit behind on my blog. It is October and I am trying to catch up from the final month of my "official" tour of duty. For most, you may agree with the following cartoon:


For others, I appreciate your support and willingness to follow my somewhat crazy blog! Although it is late, I would certainly feel as though I left my year incomplete if I did not finish out my TOY year via blog!

June was a month of mixed emotions. From watching the class I taught as both Freshmen and Juniors graduate, to handing over the NCTOY job to Tyronna Hooker, my emotions were on a roller coaster this month!

On June 7, I attended the North Carolina Business Committee for Education in Raleigh and enjoyed the opportunity to talk about the role of business in public education. This is truly a dedicated group of individuals who want to work with our public schools to graduate the most capable, creative and analytic students to work in NC.

On June 9, I watched my students walk across the stage in caps and gowns. As most teachers, I felt like a watched my own children graduate. We loose sleep; we worry; we stay at school late figuring out the best way to reteach the material; we listen to their problems; we cheer them on at ballgames; we dry their tears. They really are like our own children aren't they? Occasionally they will return to say hello. A few years down the road, a email from a former student will make your day. We watch them transition to the next phase of life and hope that in some small way, we made a difference. Here are a few fun photos from the graduation ceremony at Midway High School.


Erin, Caroline and Maria are three of the coolest, funniest, and most intelligent ladies I know. They were Marshalls for this years graduation.

All of us are Meredith Angels and we wanted to relive our "ring dinner" days! I truly enjoy working with you ladies!


Jacob and Edgar are two of my most unforgettable students. I am very proud of you two!

The following week I had the opportunity to lead a professional development workshop for Lenoir County Schools. I had a great time and really enjoyed talking with this group! Thanks to Steve Hill for inviting me.

Then I was packing my bags for CHINA! I was so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment