2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week of April 25

Our school district was on Spring Break! Like many teachers, I did spend some of my spring break working! I spent some time in the office organizing (or at least trying) and researching. I also spent a great deal of time preparing for my upcoming trip to Washington, D.C. with my fellow State Teachers of the Year. So I only traveled a couple of days this week and my car did not know how to react!

On Monday, I traveled to NCSU to meet with future teachers. Many of the folks in the group will be graduating this May and are excited about becoming teachers in the Public Schools of North Carolina. I talked a great deal about why I love teaching and why teaching is the most amazing career! At the end, a young lady asked me about my less than successful moments. I talked about this difficult reality and also talked about the importance of having hope! I truly believe that every child can learn and that every child can be successful. Even through the less than successful times, I hold on to this belief as it is at the core of who I am as a teacher. No, we don't save them all. However, we try our best to help as many students as we can along our journey. As my good friend from high school, Ray Starling, once said "Even a broken clock is right twice a day." Every child has strengths and as teachers we must always remember this!

I wish each of you the best of luck as you embark on job hunting! Let me know if I can help you in any way!



Me with Allison Bowers (2011-2012 Person County TOY) and Gina Lunsford (2010-2011 Person County TOY)

On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to spend some time in Person County. I spent the afternoon with some pretty amazing first, second and third year teachers! I loved that they were all eating ice cream cones when I walked in! They asked great questions and seemed ready to face the challenges that the close of a school year can bring! Thanks for letting me spend the afternoon with you guys! I had fun!
After the session for Beginning Teachers, I met the infamous Dan Holloman (former State Coordinator for the NC TOY program) and then was privileged to attend the Person County Teacher of the Year Banquet. What an exciting evening! I enjoyed meeting the dedicated and inspiring teachers in Person County! Congratulations to Allison Bowers, a math teacher at Person County High School, for being named Person County's Teacher of the Year!

The rest of the week was spent getting ready for my trip to DC. Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment