2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Week of May 7-13

This has officially been named "recovery week." After an incredible week in Washington, D.C., this week found me catching up on paperwork, finally getting back to EPFP and visiting schools!

On Monday, I began the debriefing of my week and worked a little (okay a ton) to catch up my blog, return emails, file paperwork and begin some research. That evening I also had the opportunity to participate in a webinar through the Center for Teaching Quality on Value-Added Measure. It was an interesting and insightful webinar and it left me pondering many things about collaboration, our profession and effective teacher leaders.

On Tuesday, I had the exciting experience of speaking to over 200 middle school students and their proud parents at Campbell University. These students participated in the Duke TIP (Talent Identification Program) and I was honored to be a part of the awards ceremony. You guys should be so proud of yourselves! For more information on the Duke TIP program visit http://www.tip.duke.edu/

After visiting Campbell University, I traveled to Raleigh and where I was able to reconnect with my EPFP classmates. My schedule had me on the road for the past two weeks and I have missed my weekly dose of education policy. This week our presenter was Chris Fitzsimon, from NC Policy Watch. Mr. Fitzsimon talked about his career paths and provided us much insight on NC policy, especially regarding education. My wheels were turning the entire drive home!

On Wednesday, I continued to catch up on emails, articles, research and attempted to organize my "so-called" office. I truly think someone has broken in my office and rather than taking things, they left things. Will I ever catch up?

On Thursday, I enjoyed lunch with my daughter's second grade and then visited Duplin Early College High School to help judge a few Graduation Projects. Wow, I was impressed! I was amazed at the ideas and presentations of these high school seniors. One of the seniors studied boat building and he built a beautiful boat! Thanks guys for letting me be a part of seeing your senior shine! Great job!

(Senior Chance Houston with the boat he built for his senior project.)

On Friday I spent the day in the office preparing for next week's webinar!

No comments:

Post a Comment