2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Week of May May 16

This week allowed me the opportunity to work with some real, live students! WHOOO! This week was just what I needed to reconnect with students and observe great teaching.

I spent Monday starring at the mess in my office. How could I possibly have collected this much stuff this year? I wonder if I will ever sort through all of this!

On Tuesday, our EPFP class had our final meeting. I don't know what I am going to do on Tuesday nights now! I have enjoyed this program and the opportunity to network with others who share my love of educational policy! I have learned so much from our meetings. Kendall Jordan and JoAnn Norris are truly wonderful leaders and I have learned so much from you both!

Wednesday was so exciting because I was back in the classroom at least for a little while. Seniors were nervously waiting for their time to present their graduation projects to the judges and juniors were piled into Ms. Hales' classroom where we had a few laughs while reviewing U.S History! To my seniors, you guys were awesome! I heard nothing but great things about your presentations! Ms. Hales and the Class of 2012, thanks for letting me be a part of your U.S. History review! I had fun with you guys!

On Thursday, I finished up some research and packed my bags for another adventure in TOY land. I really feel as though I could have my own show called "Small Towns in NC" because I have driven through so many and I love them! If you are planning a vacation in NC, let me know. I now know the state well!

On Friday, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to spend the day observing the 2010 South Carolina Teacher of the Year, Bryan Coburn. Mr. Coburn is a pre-engineering, computer programming and business teacher at Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, SC. If you want to see student learning and leadership fostered, spend the day in Mr. Coburn's class. I was so impressed by the leadership of both Mr. Coburn and his students as they tackled projects I would not have successfully completed! From a motorized marble sorter that would sort the marbles by color to reverse engineering, these students were amazing! The rapport was positive, the work of both the students and teachers was professional, and the teamwork was dynamic. I learned a great deal and enjoyed spending the day surrounded by great teaching and dedicated students!
Thanks for letting me spend the day with you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment