2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, March 21, 2011

A Leader's Legacy


On Saturday I received some sad news. My first principal, Richard Murphy, passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. I sat in silence for some time to reflect. Mr. Murphy was one of the most amazing leaders I have ever known. He was truly a presence and a leader ahead of his time. He set the standard by which I measure all administrators and he truly helped to shape me as a teacher. One of my colleagues said it best when she said she felt like she lost her professional parent. This is so true.

He was a servant leader who led by example. Everyone on the faculty had the utmost respect for him. He taught us that being "good" was not acceptable. We were inspired to be great because of his vision and instructional leadership. As I have grown as a teacher, I fondly remember some of his most powerful words of wisdom (we fondly refer to them as "Murphyisms"):

1. Be good or be gone. - He expected greatness and led is such a way that you always wanted to do your very best. He did not value average and he expected excellence.

2. Begin with the end in mind. He would always remind us of Stephen Covey's words as we began a school year. Where do we want to be at the end of the year? Where do we want our students to be at the end of the year?

3. No one rises to low expectations. Regardless of the student, the teacher or the situation, he believed that setting high expectations led to great things. How true!

When I began my teaching career at Leesville Road High School in the August of 1998, I had no idea how much of my professional life would be shaped by his great leadership. Even after the very difficult decision to leave my Leesville family to transfer closer to home, I often asked Mr. Murphy's advice as I transitioned into new roles and new opportunities. Even though I was no longer a part of the faculty, he was always willing to listen and offer guidance. When I was named NC Teacher of the Year last May, I received the most encouraging and thoughtful email from Mr. Murphy. It was an email I keep close by and often read as I have face challenges this year. I am saddened both personally and professionally by his passing; however, I feel so fortunate to have began my career with one of the best educational leaders.

As I continue to grow as a teacher and leader, I will often remember his words of wisdom, his vision, and most importantly is expectation of greatness. Thank you Mr. Murphy for all you have taught me. I was honored to work with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment