2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Week of March 14

As I got out of the car this afternoon, I checked out the odometer and realized I have traveled over 16,500 miles so far in the journey!

On Monday, I spent the day with the Principal of the Year selection team at Cuthbertson High School in Union County. It was another amazing site visit. Mr. Rob Jackson is an outstanding leader and was names the Regional Principal of the Year. We received the royal treatment and had fun talking with students during lunch.

Tuesday evening was our weekly NC EPFP meeting and we began an exercise entitled Budget Busters. It gives us a chance to learn more about the role of the NC General Assembly in creating NC's budget. We will spend the next two weeks continuing this project. It is truly fascinating and folks are taking their roles seriously!

On Wednesday I was so excited to travel to UNC Greensboro to talk with their group of Teaching Fellows. This group was so engaging and I loved their participation. We laughed and talked about the amazing aspects of teaching and the unique gifts this groups can bring to our profession. I am truly looking forward to working with this group in the future!

On Thursday our Principal of the Year selection team met at Grantham School just outside of Goldsboro. When I entered and looked around, it took me back to my years at Midway Elementary School. Grantham is unique because it continues as a K-8 school and reminded me so much of the "old days" when Midway Elementary was K-8. Congratulations to Mrs. Lisa Tart for being selected as the Region 2 Principal of the Year. She does an outstanding job at her school. Her staff and students truly respect and appreciate her very much.

After I left Grantham School, I drove back to Midway High where the Teacher Cadet class honored teachers that had a positive impact on their lives. Sometimes I wonder if we truly grasp how many lives we impact as classroom teachers. It was an afternoon will not forget. Thank you guys for including me.

On Friday I spent some time with students at a juvenile correction center. I had an honest, candid dialogue with these students about factors that influence the decision to drop out of school. It was an eye-opening day and I cried most of my drive home. I am meeting with young adults from another facility next week and I will blog about the conversations and my personal reflections. The rapport we have with our students is so important. Even simple things like saying "hello" or "how are you?" can make a world of difference to a student.

Saturday was an absolutely gorgeous day and I enjoyed my drive into Brunswick County. I had the opportunity to work with teachers involved in the Teaching American History grant. I had met this group in November and enjoyed our time on Reconstruction. Today we spent time working on ways to teach the Civil War. This group is so dedicated and I loved every minute! Thanks for your interactions and your participation. It was a gorgeous drive home with the windows down. Spring is on the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment