2010-2011 AT&T NC Teacher of the Year Team

From Left to Right: Vann Lassiter (Northeast Region) • RenĂ© Herrick (North Central Region) • Courtney Davis (Piedmont-Triad/Central Region) • Amber Alford Watkins (Sandhills/South Central Region) • Joy Jenkins (Northwest Region) • Dorothy Case (West Region) • Jennifer Facciolini (Southeast Region) • David Dahari (Southwest Region) • Stuart Miles (Charter Schools) For more information on any team member or on the AT&T North Carolina Teacher of the Year Program, please click the photograph below.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Week of August 16




I love the week when teachers return! What excitement and energy! I spent Wednesday and Thursday at Midway High School with new teachers and old friends. I think it took walking past "my" room and seeing another excited teacher sitting in there for this to really sink in. Though I am excited and honored beyond words, I must admit that I am seeing this year with mixed emotion for the first time! A year away from my students who give me energy and away from my coworkers who provide me with inspiration and encouragement. That is a great deal to absorb amongst the hustle and bustle of busy teachers hanging bulletin boards and arranging desks! Yes, I am excited about the numerous opportunities before me this year! Yes, Ms. Hales and Mr. Brewer will love and encourage these juniors to rise to the challenge! Yes, I will return to see my students from last year walk proudly across the stage in June. Yes, I smile inside as I reflect on the past and embrace the future! I am always saying that change is good! I think this year will test if I can practice what I preach!

On Friday, I had the opportunity to go "on tour" with Carol Williams (top photo), Sampson County Schools' Teacher of the Year. We had fun catching up as we drove all over Sampson County! We spoke with the Elementary, Middle and High School teachers during our annual Academy Day. Carol did an excellent job as she spoke about teaching outside the box! Dr. Lenker, our fearless leader and superintendent, spoke about how much we have improved and ways to continue increasing the academic success of our students. I spoke a little about differentiated instruction and helping our students grow intellectually. It was a long day, but I loved every minute of it! Thanks to my Sampson County friends for inviting me to spend the day with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment